- Are you ready to supercharge your Airbnb and short-term rental business? Dive deep into the world of "tech stacks" and discover why they are THE game-changer for short-term rental entrepreneurs like you! Join me as I sit down with Margot Schmorak, the empowering CEO and co-founder of Hostfully. With her extensive knowledge, Margot sheds light[...]
- Dive in with us as Amanda Neely, a certified financial planner with a flair for real estate, unravels the magic of using Airbnb and short-term rentals as empowering wealth-building avenues. From choosing the right investments to untangling those pesky financial knots that keep us awake at night, Amanda's insights are pure gold. And it doesn't[...]
- Dive into today's episode as I sit down with Sarah Orchard - once a corporate marketing executive, now a trailblazer in the short-term rental universe. Leveraging her experience from the corporate sector, Sarah is reshaping the rules of the short-term rental marketing game. Ever wonder why your direct bookings aren’t soaring? We uncover common marketing[...]
- Dive into the world of mid-term rentals with Mel Volland in this enlightening podcast episode! Mel highlights why she loves the mid-term rental investing strategy and provides insightful guidance on the key factors to consider when choosing the perfect location. Additionally, she sheds light on crucial operating expenses. We chat it up about the practical[...]
- In this engaging episode, we are joined by Brianne Hamilton, co-founder of Junction House Getaways & Junction House Properties. She sheds light on the intricacies of running a short-term rental (STR) business alongside her spouse. Drawing from her personal experiences, Brianne delves into the strategies that have helped her and her husband thrive in their[...]
- Step into an exhilarating episode where Debbie Todd, the visionary owner of The Woodlands at Hocking Hills, takes us on an unforgettable journey behind her groundbreaking giveback program in the short-term rental space. Learn what ignited Debbie's desire to transform lives, from her very first endeavors to the careful selection of charities she passionately supports.[...]
- Welcome to this inspiring episode featuring Lori Shaw, a fellow STR sister and founder of Lori Shaw Interiors. In this candid conversation, she shares her inspiring journey of resilience and success. Discover how Lori fearlessly confronted a breast cancer diagnosis while simultaneously embarking on her path in the world of short-term rentals. Lori unveils the[...]
- In the dynamic and fiercely competitive world of Airbnb and short-term rentals, standing out and leaving a lasting impression is the key to success for owners and operators. It's not just about providing a place to stay; it's about creating an experience that guests will remember and cherish. In this exciting episode, we have the[...]
- Today we dive into the world of spectrum-friendly vacations with Suzanne Hacker, the visionary founder of Spectrum Friendly Vacations. Suzanne shares her motivation behind focusing on spectrum-friendly short-term rentals and sheds light on the challenges faced by families with children on the autism spectrum while traveling. She provides invaluable tips so you can learn how[...]
- In this engaging episode, I’m thrilled to welcome Vivian Yip and Regan Sonnabend, who reveal why the mid-term rental strategy is a solid wealth-building opportunity. They provide valuable insights on how to effectively analyze mid-term rentals and also discuss how to navigate the challenges that come with mid-term rentals. Are you on the fence about[...]
- Welcome, and thanks for checking this week’s STR Sisterhood episode. Partnerships are a catalyst for success both in business and in life. They combine unique strengths, perspectives, and expertise to create a harmonious synergy surpassing individual capabilities. However, partnerships are not without challenges. They require mutual trust, effective communication, and collaborative problem-solving to navigate the[...]
- Content marketing is a powerful tool for short-term rental hosts looking to make a massive difference in attracting guests and standing out. You can effortlessly build connections and foster trust with your potential guests by crafting compelling and informative content. Whether through blogs, videos, or social media posts, content marketing is your ticket to getting[...]
- In this episode, we learn about the fascinating journey of Ashley Arthur, an amazing STR Sister who transitioned from the restaurant industry to become a successful short-term rental investor. Join us as we explore Ashley's unique story and learn how her leadership skills from running a restaurant business seamlessly translated into her flourishing "Airbnb biz."[...]
- Join us for an engaging podcast episode featuring Meghan Cruse, an expert short-term rental designer and consultant specializing in Airbnb hosts and short-term rental property owners. Get ready to unlock the secrets of creating remarkable guest experiences while maintaining a healthy and aesthetically pleasing space. Discover the insider "tricks of the trade" as we delve[...]
- Discovering and understanding your investor persona can unlock a world of advantages in your STR entrepreneurial journey. Find out how in this amazing episode with Kate Stoermer, founder of The CEO Host. In this episode, we discuss the most common challenges STR investors face, the five distinct investor personas (along with their characteristics), and how[...]
- Are you considering rehabbing a property but don’t know where to start? Look no further! In this captivating podcast episode, Aubrey Carlson shares invaluable insights on rehabbing properties that will leave you confident and well-prepared. Whether you’re considering rehabbing out of state or locally, Aubrey sheds light on the pros and cons of both options[...]
- In this episode, I sit down with Paige Hayes, an interior designer with a passion for vacation rentals. Paige shares her insights on how to infuse your property with a compelling narrative that sets it apart from the rest. By weaving intentional design choices into the story of your space, you can create an ambiance[...]
- Buckle up, folks, because this episode is a must-listen! Join me as I sit down with Allie Fugatt and Carrie Douglas, the brilliant minds behind the She Invests Podcast and Facebook group. In this conversation, we delve into their journey of starting in short-term rentals and how they convinced their husbands that getting into the[...]
- Get ready to be inspired and informed as we dive into the world of short-term rental furnishing with Ashley Ching, the CEO and founder of Inhaven. In this episode, we explore how Inhaven's all-in-one platform can transform the way Airbnb hosts furnish their properties with ease and style. But that's not all! Ashley shares her[...]
- Welcome back to Part 2 of this two-part training series. In this episode, we'll be continuing our deep dive into the world of how I built my 7-figure short-term rental business – and how you can, too! We'll be discussing the key priorities that were critical to my own success and what elements I recommend[...]
- Welcome to Part 1 of our 2-part training series on how ANYONE can become a wildly successful host on Airbnb and build a 7-figure short-term rental business. That's right, we're talking about you! In this episode, we'll dive into my personal journey in the short-term rental space, where I went from novice host to successful[...]
- Investing in quality furnishings that are comfortable, functional, and aesthetically pleasing can help attract more guests, receive positive reviews, and ultimately increase your Airbnb property's revenue. But actually finding quality furnishings that fit with your design plan and within your budget can be a challenging (and super time consuming) task. That’s where having the right[...]
- Traveling healthcare workers are an invaluable asset to the healthcare industry. They provide quality services to patients in areas with a shortage of qualified medical professionals. However, they often face the challenge of finding a good place to stay while on their job. Providing a good place for traveling healthcare workers to stay is crucial[...]
- When venturing into short-term rental space, there’s a lot to learn, and the learning curve can be daunting. Personally, I’ve found that connecting with a community of like-minded people has been incredibly helpful for me – in SO many ways. I’ve been able to learn from their experiences, gain valuable insights, avoid costly mistakes, and[...]
- If you’re looking to increase your revenue, focusing on your property’s design can make a huge difference. By paying close attention to the design of your Airbnb, you can attract more guests, enhance the experience during their stay, and increase your average daily rates (ADR). And, as a result, you can increase revenue while setting[...]
- Being an Airbnb co-host can be a rewarding “career” that offers a range of benefits. Whether you're looking to earn extra income or gain new skills and experiences, co-hosting can be a great opportunity. In this episode, I sit down with Chelsey Jones and discuss how she’s personally found success in the co-hosting business. As[...]
- AirDNA is a powerful platform that offers data-driven insights for short-term rental properties worldwide. With its help, you can make informed decisions when analyzing a market or property – and capture valuable information on pricing, occupancy rates, and more. By leveraging AirDNA, you can track performance, optimize your strategy, and stay ahead of the competition[...]
- The #1 reason why a short-term rental investor might consider buying a commercially-zoned property: Fewer restrictions. In this episode, I’m honored to welcome Stacey Duvall, a successful real estate entrepreneur and the founder of Stacey Duvall Real Estate. Tune in to find how to find commercially zoned properties, what you should do before purchasing commercially[...]
- The BRRRR Method (Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat) is a real estate investing strategy where you purchase an undervalued or distressed property, fix it up, rent it for some time, refinance it to purchase a second investment property, and repeat the cycle. The BRRRR Method enables investors to make money on their investments by taking[...]
- In this amazing episode, I’m joined by Tracie Fowler, STR owner, consultant, and entrepreneur. Tracie’s love for traveling and interacting with the locals of the places she visited led her to stay for extended periods in many short-term rentals in different places. In 2015, while traveling to Thailand, Tracie met someone on a flight who[...]
- A scarcity mindset is one of the biggest obstacles for entrepreneurs. It is a belief that there are not enough resources to go around and that people have to fight for their share of what’s available. People with the scarcity mindset believe that helping others to succeed will inevitably lead to their failure. The short-term[...]
- Marketing to brides and bridal parties can be a smart strategy for short-term rental owners looking to tap into a growing and lucrative market. Weddings are a significant and growing market, and brides are looking for unique and memorable places to stay. By supporting brides and bridal parties, STR owners can get plugged into a[...]
- While life’s challenges are inevitable, finding ways to overcome them is crucial. And as you’re finding ways to battling life’s troubling moments, you often grow, develop skills you never knew you had, and find meaning in life. Simply put, when you invest in improving yourself, your whole world changes. And self-improvement is a journey that[...]
- Guest complaints can be a challenge for any host. It’s important to know the best way to handle them in order to maintain a positive experience for your guests and yourself. As a host on Airbnb, you want to make your guests feel welcome and provide them with a memorable experience. Many hosts think that[...]
- There are many mortgage options available to people these days. However, not all of them are suitable for every individual. Find out how you can choose the best mortgage option for your STR business in today’s episode with Brenna Carles, Founder & CEO of The Mortgage Shop. Choosing the right mortgage option for you can[...]
- Operating a short-term rental business at scale is no easy task and setting up (let alone managing) properties in different markets can be daunting. It’s thus essential to have the right systems and processes in place to help you streamline your operations and increase productivity and efficiency as you grow. It is also important to[...]
- Real estate is a lucrative investment for so many people. Success factors are built around knowledge – knowledge of your market, real estate trends, and local economies. Although there can be a lot of uncertainty, one thing is for certain -- that a home will be worth more ten years from now than it is[...]
- Tracey Northcott joined the short-term rentals and Airbnb business in 2011. At that time, she was fully invested as an Airbnb host, and her business was seamless and thriving. However, when regulations were put in place in her area, things changed abruptly, and her Airbnb bubble burst. This prompted her to “put on her big[...]
- Join the conversation with Stacey as she interviews Helen Christopher. Helen and her hubby purchased a former girls camp and turned it into STR business that hosts weddings, birthday parties, and more. She reveals what inspired her to venture into the short-term rental business and how she transitioned from being a teacher to a short-term[...]
- Miranda decided to have pet-friendly short-term rentals after her dog, Roxy, got cancer five years ago. She decided Roxy would accompany her everywhere she went, and it was then that she realized how important it was to her that she offered short-term rentals that also welcomed furry friends. Miranda owns STRs in Columbus, Ohio, and[...]
- Renting a property is not an easy task. It requires a lot of planning and research to ensure the investment is worth it. Ashley Coen Guy, ‘The Femme Investor’, started investing in short-term rentals in 2020 while balancing 5 kids, a husband, and a full-time job. Ashley has navigated her way through the challenges in[...]
- Today in the podcast, we have Avery Carl, an author, the host of The Short Term Show podcast, and the CEO and founder of The Short Term Shop, a real estate agency nationwide that specializes in helping investors get connected with the best properties in the best markets to invest in short-term rentals. In this[...]
- How do we create a luxurious experience for our guests – and does it REALLY matter? In this episode, Stacey sits down with her good friend and professional short-term rental designer, Valerie Malone from Quill Decor. They discuss what it really means to have a luxury STR and why it’s important. Then, Valerie walks us[...]
- Julie George is a best-selling author, coach, and speaker in the short-term rental industry and her success story has inspired us all. Yet, things weren’t always so rosy for her, and in this episode, Julie gives us the inside scoop as to what life was like before her short-term rental fame and fortune, how stress[...]
- It takes more than just hiring a cleaning service and advertising your short-term rental on the OTAs (Online Travel Agencies) to make the most of it; you must make sure your ideal guests can discover your property and recognize your value. Can they tell what distinguishes your listing from other local listings in the area?[...]
- In this episode, Chris Cash (who branched out from her career as an interior designer and real estate agent, to become a short-term rental business owner) shares her story. She walks us through how she got started, her experiences so far (including the highs and lows) as well as how she’s already giving back to[...]
- Welcome to the FIRST episode of the STR Sisterhood Podcast! In this episode, Stacey St. John is joined with Amy Corbett, and they discuss how Amy and her husband walked away from a stable income, "tested" their short-term rental business for 1 year, and haven't looked back since! Connect with Amy: Website Instagram Facebook TikTok[...]
Shifting from A Scarcity Mindset to an Abundance Mindset with Michelle Gibbs
A scarcity mindset is one of the biggest obstacles for entrepreneurs. It is a belief that there are not enough resources to go around and that people have to fight for their share of what’s available. People with the scarcity mindset believe that helping others to succeed will inevitably lead to their failure.
The short-term rental business is a competitive industry. However, an abundance mindset can help us lift each other and build mutually beneficial relationships with others. An abundance mindset values collaboration and cooperation instead of competition, and it helps us focus on having grace with other people and helping others so that we can all succeed.
In today’s episode, Michelle Gibbs discusses the importance of shifting from a scarcity mindset to an abundance mindset and how her perspective of helping others impacted her STR business. Additionally, she talks about the biggest contributors to the rapid growth of her co-hosting business and the tools she uses for personal growth and continuous improvement.
Tune in for amazing insights!
Timestamps for the key highlights in the episode
[02:51] Meet and greet; Michelle Gibbs and know where she is located
[04:17] How she got into short-term rentals
[05:47] How Michelle’s perspective of helping other people has impacted her STR
business and helped her to heal
[09:43] Tips to help you stand out and thrive in saturated short-term rental markets
[11:41] Identifying good team members in a new market
[13:01 The young mom that Michelle loves helping; How she found her and
identified her as a prospective team member
[20:26] The tools that Michelle uses for personal growth and continuous
[27:25] What are the biggest contributors to the rapid growth of her co-hosting
[29:18] Shifting from a scarcity mindset to an abundance mindset
[33:01] The lightning round:
● Where is your favorite place to vacation?
● What’s one place you’ve never been to that you want to visit?
● What’s one thing you know now that you wished you knew when you started out in the short-term rental business?
● What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
● What’s one thing and/or person that you are grateful for today?
[36:11] How to connect with Michelle Gibbs
● “Obviously, beach markets are saturated short-term rental markets, but I don’t believe that’s a deterrent. I believe there is a great draw and attraction there, and if you do it well, your guests will always come back.”
● “When you go to a new industry, you don’t need to reinvent the wheel. You need to find someone who has polished that wheel to a beautiful shine.
● “You have to be hungry for growth to be open to being wrong.”
● ‘You have to let go to let in.”
● “You do unto others as you want done unto you.”
● “When you learn by doing, you don’t forget.”
Love the show? Subscribe, Rate, Review, Like, and Share!
Follow Michelle Gibbs on;
● Website: https://www.revenuerental.com/
● Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/revenuerentaltx/
● Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/revenuerental
Follow Stacey St. John on;
● Website: https://staceystjohn.com/